The Gummi Bears "...take pride in knowing, they'll fight for what's right, in whatever they do..." and so do WE! Join us in this little kitchen adventure as we replace the unnecessary (and quite gross) byproduct that is gelatin with plant-based agar powder. These yummy treats will make you bounce here and there and everywhere. Ok. We'll stop now.
Here's the gummy bear mold we used, and also check out the other shapes you can make: www.amazon.com/Candy-Silicone-SENHAI-Gumdrop-Chocolate/dp/B01JYBP7R6/ref=sr_1_5?s=kitchen&ie=UTF8&qid=1490223673&sr=1-5&keywords=gummy bear mold
INGREDIENTS and price breakdown:
¼ cup fruit purée or ½ cup fruit juice (varies, approx. less than $2.00)
2 tbs agave ≈$0.50
2 tsp agar powder ≈$1.00
1 tsp bourbon vanilla extract ≈$0.21
1 vitamin C packet ≈$0.33
TOTAL COST: approx. $4.04
Makes more than 100 vegan gummy bears
1) Purée your favorite fruit and run through a colander strainer.
2) Heat on med-low and add the water, agave, vanilla extract, vitamin C packet (optional), and very slowly incorporate the agar powder.
3) Remove from heat as soon as the mixture begins to thicken, and with a dropper or spoon, carefully fill the mold.
4) These set pretty quickly, so leave them in the fridge for 5-10 minutes, and presto!
1) A Brief History of Gummy Bears: www.bonappetit.com/entertaining-style/pop-culture/article/history-gummy-bears
2) What You Didn't Know About Gelatin May Hurt You: butternutrition.com/what-you-dont-know-about-gelatin-may-hurt-you-5-things-you-need-to-know/
(You would think with so many rules and warnings, you would just...avoid it?)
3) Grisly video showing how gelatin is REALLY made is putting people off their gummy bears (and cola bottles, marshmallows and ice creams): www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/food/article-3757950/Grizzly-video-showing-gelatin-REALLY-putting-people-gummy-bears-cola-bottles-marshmallows-ice-creams.html#ixzz4c6C3iOP1
4) Top 10 Vitamin C Foods. Dr. Axe Food is Medicine. draxe.com/top-10-vitamin-c-foods/
5) Dr. McDougall Gets Fired from the Obesity Medical Conference, Webinar 03/31/16 (full video): brvid.net/video/video-7KeX1UjV2Uc.html
Follow us on Facebook, Instagram, and Twitter for informative articles, videos, and funny memes! Help us spread the word about veganism and all these delicious vegan food options!
And please help us continue creating great content by visiting our Patreon page.
"Fretless" by Kevin MacLeod (incompetech.com)
Licensed under Creative Commons: By Attribution 3.0 License
23 Mar 2017